Welcome back to QCK!
I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend! How did you celebrate? I ate wayyyyy too much of everything that I shouldn’t have. I regret nothing. But I always like to balance things out after a big day of eating with a few days of healthier eating. More fiber, more vegetables, less sugar, less fat, less carb. Usually that means more salads. Like this one!
This is a salad my mom used to make all the time and one of my favorites. It’s super simple, perfect last minute pot luck dish or as a way to get some extra vegetables into your weeknight dinner. You can also just enjoy it as a quick, easy lunch or dinner.
While it’s fairly healthy, it’s also really satisfying. I use a combination of spring mix and romaine for flavor, crunch and vitamins. Then I add some orange suprems, I love fruit, especially citrus in my salads. Then some creamy swiss cheese, because every good salad needs a little cheese. Cashews for crunch an salt. Then it all gets tossed in a quick honey poppyseed vinaigrette that’s perfectly sweet and tangy.
Substitutions and Add Ons
- Honey can be swapped for granulated sugar.
- Spring Mix and Romaine can be swapped for any greens you like. You can also use just romaine, or just spring mix.
- Fresh Oranges can be substituted for canned mandarin oranges.
- Cashews can be swapped pistachios, Brazil nuts, almonds, or really any nut you like.
- Swiss can be switched with provolone or havarti.
- Onion can be substituted with onion powder.
- Vegan Substitutions: Omit the Swiss, or use your favorite plant based dairy. Use granulated sugar instead of honey.
- Protiens: Chicken or steak are both great protiens for this salad.
- Add Ons: Mushrooms, red onion, carrots, dried cranberries.
- 1 Head Romaine Lettuce, washed and chopped
- 3 C Spring Mix
- 1/2 C Roasted, Salted Cashew halves
- 2-3 Mandarin or Clementine Oranges, peeled and in pieces
- 4 oz Swiss Cheese, cubed or shaved
- 1/4 C Honey
- 1 tsp Dijon
- 1 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 3 Tbsp White Vinegar
- A Small Piece of Yellow Onion, the equivilant of 1 tsp
- 1/2 C Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine romaine, spring mix, cashews, oranges, and Swiss cheese.
- In a blender, combine honey, dijon, poppy seeds, white vinegar, onion, and salt.
- While blending, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Once all the oil is poured in, blend 20-30 seconds more. When you turn the blender off, a few bubbles should surface and pop. If the bubbles are small and rapid this means there is too much oil, you may want to add a splash of water and blend a few more seconds.
- Dress and toss the salad just before eating.
As always, I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you tried it out let me know in the comments. For more recipes check out my homepage and follow along on Instagram. Don’t forget to like, follow, comment and share. Thanks for reading!
2 thoughts on “Cashew and Swiss Salad + Honey Poppy Seed Dressing”
Thank you about the advice on the bubbles in the dressing. Great Recipe.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Trick I learned while working in a resturaunt! Thanks for the comment!