Welcome back to QCK!
Last week I talked a little about my relationship with food and this blog, mostly about my need to eat healthier, mostly plant based foods. So today I wanted to share a really easy vegan recipe. I made this stir fry in an attempt to mimic beef and broccoli that you would normally get at your favorite Chinese takeout spot, and it came out really well. It’s a little spicy, a little tangy, and all around really satisfying.
The broccoli is steamed and then tossed with crispy cashews and seasoned with garlic, ginger, onion, fermented chili paste for some heat, a squeeze of orange juice for some acid and a touch of brown sugar. It hits pretty much every note.
The great thing about this recipe is that it’s vegan but there are no crazy ingredients. It’s just really simple. You can easily convert this to gluten free by using gluten free soy sauce. But the best part is that it takes just around 30 minutes to make. It’s a perfect weeknight dinner that can be reheated for lunch tomorrow.
Substitutions and Add Ons
- Cashews can be substituted with peanuts.
- Broccoli can be substituted for cauliflower.
- Fermented Chili Paste can be substituted for red chili flakes.
- Orange Juice can be substituted for lemon or lime juice.
- Brown Sugar can be substituted for honey, but it’s not vegan.
- Add Ons: Zucchini, peas, corn, asparagus, bell peppers.
|Prep: 10 Mins||Cook: 20 Mins||Difficulty: Easy||Servings: 2|
- 1 lb Broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 C Cashew Halves
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, minced
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Orange Juice
- 2 tsp Fermented Chili Paste
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 C Cooked Rice, optional
- In a medium sauce pan, bring 1/4 C water seasoned with salt to a boil.
- Add broccoli and cover. Steam until the broccoli is bright green and soft with just a little bit of crunch, 5-7 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil up in temperature in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add onion, garlic, ginger and cashew. Cook until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Add Broccoli and toss.
- Create an empty space in the center of the pan and add orange juice, chili paste, soy sauce, brown sugar and pepper. Stir to combine and allow the mixture to boil slightly.
- Toss the broccoli and cashews in the sauce.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve on a bed of rice.
As always, I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you tried it out let me know in the comments. For more recipes check out my homepage and follow along on Instagram. Don’t forget to like, follow, comment and share. Thanks for reading!