Welcome back to QCK!
I feel like I’ve been posting so many recipes with avocado, lime and cilantro. I guess it’s just what I’m hungry for lately. Or in today’s case… thirsty for.
This flavor combo is so refreshing you can’t go wrong mixing it up in any way. I love this drink for summer because it’s fresh and citrusy but not too sugary sweet. The cucumber and lime work together to bring a really cool element, while the avocado adds a really great texture and lastly the cilantro adds an herby freshness that I love.
If you need to use up those avocados that are just starting to go, this is the perfect recipe. In combination with all the citrus, it will stay fresh and green up to three days in the fridge.
It’s a perfect back yard grill out dinner, I love to make this any time I’m making my shrimp tacos. But it would also pair really well with a nice steak and guasacaca sauce, or tacos al pastor. Or really any tacos. Even my favorite vegan cauliflower and sweet potato tacos.
Substitutions and Add On’s
- If you don’t like cilantro you can simply omit it from the recipe or add a few mint leaves.
- You can substitute limes for lemons if needed, but I find the flavor profile of limes to work better with cilantro and cucumber.
- If you don’t want to make simply syrup, you can simply stir 1 C of raw sugar into the fully mixed drink. Be sure to stir until all the sugar is disolved to get the best flavor and texture.
- I always think this recipe would be so fun with a charred jalapeño either added to the simple syrup or used as a garnish.
- Yes. Of course you can add tequila. This makes for a great margarita. Be sure to salt the rims!
- Mezcal would also be a great addition. Especially along with the charred jalapeño. The smoky with citrusy/sweet notes is really delicious.
Tips and Tricks
- If you don’t have a citrus juicer, you can use a spoon to make sure you get as much juice as possible out of the lime. Simply cut the lime in half, squeeze as much juice out by hand as you can, then push your spoon into the center and rotate using the side of the spoon to scrape the inside of the lime.
- If you can, make the simple syrup a few hours or even one day in advance to really let the cilantro settle in.
- If you don’t have a fine mesh strainer, a coffee or tea filter works just as well, but will likely take a little longer.
|Prep: 15 Min||Cook: 10 Min||Difficulty: Easy||Servings: 8|
- 1/2 Bunch of Cilantro
- 1 C Granulated Sugar
- 1 C Water
- 1 Cucmber, washed, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 Avocado, pit and skin removed
- 1/2 C Lime Juice
- 3-4 C Filtered Water
- In a small pot over medium heat, add sugar, water and cilantro. Stir until sugar is fully dissolved. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a blender, combine cucumber, avocado and lime juice until a smoothie-like consistency is reached. Pour this mixture into a fine mesh strainer over your pitcher.
- Remove cilantro from simple syrup.
- Add simple syrup and water until desired sweetness and flavor are reached.
- Mix well and serve chilled with cucumber slices and lime to garnish.
As always, I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you tried it out let me know in the comments. For more recipes check out my homepage and follow along on Instagram. Don’t forget to like, follow, comment and share. Thanks for reading!